Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Prompt #2

In the book, "The Brief and Wondrous life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz, it starts off with a curse known as fuku. As the author states, "that the arrival of Europeans on Hispaniola unleashed the fuku on the world"(Diaz 1). It is hard to believe that curses and bad luck are upon this world and what many others believe. I have heard things like karma, but sometimes things could be a coincidence. The author mentions that Oscar was a ladies man to begin with and had two girlfriends. Later on, his girlfriend dumped him and he felt miserable and alone. Oscar was known as a nerd in high school and liked reading sci-fi and was insecure about himself. "Sophomore year Oscar found himself weighing in at a whopping 245 (260 when he was depressed, which was often) and it had become clear to everybody, especially his family, that he'd become the neighborhood pariguayo"(Diaz 19). He didn't pull any girls anymore, he was antisocial, he became very overweight, and stayed home reading instead of going out to play.
In my personal academic life, I have felt a fuku in myself. All throughout middle school and high school, I was never really good at writing essays. I'd always get a C on my essays, nothing better. I was used to it and didn't even try anymore. I feel some sort of zafa protected me in college because I began to do really good when I was writing my essays and it definitely boosted my confidence. Ever since that happened, I feel like I have become a better writer and take my english classes more seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment